Normally, when we book an Indian Railways ticket, it is not required that any input be given regarding photo identity card details of any of the passengers. However, as per Indian Railways rules, it is very important to carry and show the Identity card to authorities in original while travelling.
If you book E-ticket then, one of the passengers booked on an E-ticket in a PNR is required to show any of the ten identity cards noted below in original during the train journey as it will be accepted as a proof of identity. But, alarmingly, if you fail to show the identity card, the passenger will be treated as travelling without ticket and shall be dealt as per extant Indian Railways rules. It has been said that if the person fails to show the identity card then they will be charged with full ticket fare plus a penalty of Rs. 250 but he/she will be able to keep the same berths.
According to IRCTC website, The following photo identity cards are considered valid for the journey:
2. Voter Photo identity card issued by Election Commission of India.
3. Driving Licence issued by RTO
4. Pan Card issued by Income Tax Department.
5. Photo Identity card having a serial number issued by Central / State Government.
6. Student Identity Card with photograph issued by recognized School/College for their students.
7. Nationalized Bank Passbook with photographs.
8. Credit Cards issued by Banks with laminated photograph.
9. Unique Identification Card “Aadhaar”, m-Aadhaar, e-Aadhaar.
10. Photo identity cards having a serial number issued by public sector Undertakings of State/Central Government, District Administrations, Municipal bodies and Panchayat Administrations.