Pradhan Mantri Jan Arogya Yojana (PMJAY) or Ayushman Bharat that was launched by Prime Minister Narendra Modi in September last year offers a cover of up to Rs 5 lakh per family a year for secondary and tertiary care.
The PMJAY cardholders can avail of these benefits without making any payment at public and empanelled hospitals.
In times of health crisis, the facility is a real clincher deal for the eligible beneficiaries who can then avail of these services anywhere in India. What’s more, pre-existing diseases are also covered under this scheme.
As per the official site of PMJAY, the following criteria decide if one is eligible for enrolment under this scheme.
- In the rural areas, the PMJAY health cover is available to:
- Members of SC/ST households
- Families with no male member aged 16-59 years
- Beggars and those surviving on alms
- Families with no individuals aged between 16-59 years
- Families with a physically challenged member, no able-bodied adult member
- Landless households with members working as casual manual labourers
- Primitive tribal communities
- Legally released bonded labourers
- Families living in one-room makeshift houses with no proper walls or roof
- Manual scavenger families
- Mechanics, electricians, repair workers
- Domestic help
- Sanitation workers, gardeners, sweepers
- Home-based artisans or handicraft workers, tailors
- Cobblers, hawkers and others providing services by working on streets or pavements
- Plumbers, masons, construction workers, porters, welders, painters and security guards
- Transport workers like drivers, conductors, helpers, cart or rickshaw pullers
- Assistants, peons in small establishments, delivery boys, shopkeepers and waiters…Read more>>